Thursday, October 16, 2008

Of all of the projects that we have done or will be doing in this class, this audio project is what worried me the most. Simply put, I had no idea what I was doing going into this project, nor had I ever played around with audio before. But thanks to a Mac at home and some extra free time, I was able to play around with GarageBand prior to starting my project. I found that this ‘playing’ process was essential to my later progress with the assignment, since I was able to incorporate what I had heard earlier and write my script around it. The whole idea of a time warp came from the discovery of those sound effects, and I simply incorporated it with the weather. This was the greatest difficulty was finding which way I wanted the project to go, especially because I combined with Eric. This made the project a lot more fun, but also more frustrating since we were forced to negotiate and compromise with what to put in rather than just doing as we choose. However, this made the project feel more like an actual news story, since a production team would have to take a similar path and process to create this piece.

As Eric and I progressed through the assignment, we really started with only one minute planned. After recording this we realized we could really go anywhere, so we began to brainstorm different ways we could take it. We went through helicopter crashes, outdoor skyscraper forecasts, and finally time travel. Once this was decided the writing process began. This is where the real negotiation began. As we scripted different characters we were forced to demonstrate each in order to prove the worth and hilarity of this newly developed voice. This is where I feel the ‘writing’ process took place. We had to go with our guts on a lot of this, and ad libbing played a big part, which also led to it being funnier than a straight script since it would come out more natural. But this became difficult when we both wanted certain characters that would send it a certain way. In the end, we both did what we didn't originally want to do, but what we soon found out was the best way to take the project. It was this compromise, fluid-ness, and adaptability of the project that really made the entire process very worthwhile. To be honest, I feel that other students may have missed out on this opportunity. I feel that any industry involving audio or video is a team effort, even if it ends up with just one person on screen or in the sound booth, there is still someone holding the camera or pushing record. If Eric and I had not worked together, I feel that both of our projects would have been less effective (and a lot less funny). Overall, I am very pleased I was able to share this process with Vern and the entire class, because unedited and real reactions are hard to come by, but having the class there gives you a real feel for how well you completed your work. All in all, this has been one of the more enjoyable projects of my college education.

No comments: